Gnats sentence example
- Sand-flies and biting gnats are lesser nuisances.
- These mosquitoes or gnats - the terms are synonymous - belong to the family Culicidae and the genus Anopheles, which was first classified by Meigen in 1818.
- But, to Dean, neither did a 10mm line, all that bound the scampering gnats they could see peppering the icy walls of the gorge.
- The presence of fungus gnats is a warning sign.
- Comprises the midges, gnats, crane-flies, gad-flies, &c.Advertisement
- K, sucking Diptera, belonging to various families, but now by common consent restricted to those known to naturalists as Culicidae, or gnats.
- Thus true hereditary infection of a succeeding generation of gnats may be brought about.
- Ants, bees and wasps of many species, and flies and gnats abound, particularly during the summer rainy season, and at all elevations.
- Amy had to call in pest control to extirpate the gnats in her kitchen.
- The Diptera Orthorrhapha include the more primitive and less specialized families such as the Tipulidae (daddy-long-legs), Culicidae (gnats or mosquitoes), Chironomidae (midges), Mycetophilidae (fungus-midges), Tabanidae (horse-flies), Asilidae (robber-flies), &c. The Diptera Cyclorrhapha on the other hand consist of the most highly specialized families, such as the Syrphidae (hover-flies), Oestridae (bot and warble flies), and Muscidae (sensu latiore - the house-fly and its allies, including tsetse-flies, flesh-flies, Tachininae, or flies the larvae of which are internal parasites of caterpillars, &c.).Advertisement
- Summertime often brings bugs, and mosquitoes and stinging gnats can be annoying at any outdoor party.
- An ear of another type is found in the swollen second segment of the feeler in many male gnats and midges, the cuticle between this segment and the third forming an annular drum which is connected with numerous nerveendings, while the fine bristles on the more distal segments vibrate in response to the note produced by the humming of the female.
- East Siberia suffers less from this plague than the marshy Baraba steppe; but on the Amur and the Sungari large gnats are an intolerable plague.
- Use citronella candles in lighting to help ward off mosquitoes and gnats.
- Unlike mosquitoes, gnats or other flying insects that bite, wasps have stingers that they use to inject poison into the skin.Advertisement
- Argyroneta feeds principally upon flies or gnats, which it seizes from below as they light upon the surface of the water.
- At that time I have enjoyed great sport as the black gnats have swarmed over the river and the trout have risen all day.