Glaciated sentence example
- Amongst all these high glens there is a remarkable absence of lakes and waterfalls; nor are there down in the lower valleys at the foot of the mountains, as one would naturally expect in a region so extensively glaciated, any sheets of water corresponding to the Swiss lakes.
- The maturely dissected and recently glaciated uplands of New England are now somewhat depressed with respect to sea-level, so that the sea enters the valleys, forming bays and estuaries, while the interfiuve uplands and hills stand forth in headlands and islands.
- Thus local sheets or aprons of gravel and sand are spread more or less abundantly along the outer side of the morainic belts; and long trains of gravel and sands clog the valleys that lead southward from the glaciated to the non-glaciated area.
- In this central region, however, it is only by way of exception that the cirques were so far enlarged by retrogressive glacial erosion as to sharpen the preglacial dome-like summits into acute peaks; and in no case did glacial action here extend down to the plains at the eastern base of the mountains; but the widened, trough-like glaciated valleys frequently descend to the level of the elevated intermont basins, where moraines were deployed forward on the basin floor.
- C. Russell, have yielded evidence of past climatic changes second in importance only to those of the Pleistocene glaciated areas.Advertisement
- The land rises to 1,500 ft., is heavily glaciated, and in geological structure is similar to the mainland.
- The region is made up in general of high ranges deeply glaciated, preserving some remnants of ancient glaciers, and having fine " Alpine " scenery, with many sharp peaks and ridges, U-shaped valleys, cirques, lakes and waterfalls.
- It is full of huge glaciated blocks, and in different regions (Prieska chiefly) the underlying pavement is remarkably striated and shows that the ice was moving southward.
- The plain and the oldland were well worn down by erosion and then were uplifted; were dissected by stream valleys, and were glaciated.
- The glaciated rocks of the glen are clothed with vegetation of peculiar luxuriance, flourishing in the mild climate which has given Glengarriff its high reputation as a health resort for those suffering from pulmonary complaints.Advertisement
- We traverse around the base of the north west ridge into a glaciated cwm.
- Owing to the steepness of the valley sides of many glacial troughs, talus is commonly found in formerly glaciated mountain regions.
- This is one of the most heavily glaciated mountain masses near the equator.
- Remote and isolated, deeply glaciated valley with clustered small farms with small enclosed fields on lower slopes and valley bottom.
- New York was heavily glaciated in the ice age leaving much of the state with deep, fertile, tho somewhat rocky soils.Advertisement
- May 21 The McCalmans All the way from Scotia's glaciated terrain come The McCalmans.
- It has a starfish shape radiating six ridges with deep glaciated valleys.
- The valley floors always join at accordant levels, as is the habit among normally subdued mountains; they thus contrast with glaciated mountains such as the Alps and the Canadian Rockies, where the laterals habitually open as hanging valleys in the side slope of the main valleys.