Glacial epoch sentence example
- At the close of the glacial epoch the north Asiatic flora spread westwards into Europe and intermingled with the surviving vegetation.
- The most interesting feature of the glacial epoch is the extinct Lake Agassiz, which the receding ice of the later glacial period left in the Red River Valley of Minnesota,.
- It is presumed that in the Glacial epoch the genus was exterminated except in the areas in western North America where it still persists.
- When the ice of the last glacial epoch had retreated so far that Its front lay on a northward slope, belonging to the drainage area of the Great Lakes, bodies of water accumulated in front of the ice margin, forming glacio-marginal lakes.
- Some of the estimates make the lapse of time since the first glacial epoch more than a million years, while others make it no more than one-third as long.Advertisement
- The time since the last glacial epoch is but a fraction of the time since the first probably no more than a fifteenth or a twentieth.
- Much has been written and more said concerning the existence of man in the United States before the last glacial epoch.
- There are still enormous glaciers about the head of the Brahmaputra, but the glacial epoch of the Chang-t'ang highlands has passed away, though comparatively recently.
- Of wild flowering plants only a very few are endemic species (though more are endemic varieties); the bulk are immigrants after the last glacial epoch.
- The great terminal moraine of the glacial epoch crosses the N.E.Advertisement
- The lava-streams which have flowed from them since the Glacial epoch now cover an area of 4650 sq.
- The palagonitic breccias, which attain their greatest development in the south of the island and on the tableland, consist of reddish, brown or yellowish rocks, tuffs and breccias, belonging to several different groups or divisions, the youngest of which seems to be of a date subsequent to the Glacial epoch.
- During the Glacial epoch the whole of Iceland was covered by a vast sheet of inland ice, except for a few small isolated peaks rising along its outer margins.
- Signs of elevation subsequent to the Glacial epoch are common all round the island, especially on the north-west peninsula.
- Boulder-clays and sands, and gravels rearranged by water, occur throughout the lowlands; while the eskers or " green hills," characteristic grasscovered ridges of gravel, rise from the great plain, or run athwart valleys and over hill-sides, marking the courses of sub-glacial streams. When the superficial deposits are removed, the underlying rocks are found to be scored and smoothed by ice-action, and whole mountain-sides in the south and west have been similarly moulded during the Glacial epoch.Advertisement
- The effect of the Glacial epoch in Europe is shown in northern Africa by the moraines of the higher Atlas, and the wider extension of the glaciers on Kilimanjaro, Kenya and Ruwenzori, and by the extensive accumulations of gravel over the Sahara.
- The incoming of the Glacial epoch does not appear to have been accompanied by any acclimatization of the plants - the species belonging to temperate Europe were locally exterminated, and Arctic forms took their places.
- The site of the station is comprised of a thick bed of alluvium of considerable depth which settled after the last glacial epoch.