Gizzard sentence example
- The gizzard of various birds which are addicted to eating hairy caterpillars, e.g.
- The crop is modified into a large and very rugose triturating apparatus, while the gizzard, thereby relieved of its function, is reduced to the utmost.
- A gizzard is present in a few forms. The buccal cavity is sometimes armed with jaws.
- Most birds have a gizzard which helps to grind up seeds for example.
- Cuculus canorus and trogons, is often lined with the broken-off hairs of these caterpillars, which, penetrating the cuticle, assume a regular spiral arrangement, due to the rotatory motion of the muscles of the gizzard.Advertisement
- Commonly among the terrestrial forms there is a gizzard, or two gizzards, or a larger number, in the oesophageal region.
- The common gamer term "gib" (derived from giblet, the dense gizzard organ you find in some table fowl) was born in these games - an enthusiastic word for the bloody chunks that go flying when you shoot an opponent.
- This bolus is surrounded, as by a bag, by the cast-up lining of the gizzard.
- In the structure of the digestive system, beetles resemble most other mandibulate insects, the food-canal consisting of gullet, crop, gizzard, mid-gut or stomach, intestine and rectum.
- The alimentary canal is simple and a gizzard or oesophageal diverticula rarely developed.Advertisement
- The mouth opens through a narrow pharynx (p) into a chamber which is (as in Crustacea) at once crop and gizzard, the mastax (ma), whose thickenings are imbedded in the posteroventral wall.
- Behind this point there is a muscular pharynx or gizzard, which communicates with the wide intestinal tract.
- The digestive system has a slender gullet, a large crop and no gizzard; in some Hemiptera the hinder region of the mid-gut forms a twisted loop with the gullet.