Ghat sentence example
- Near the Manikarnika ghat is the well held to have been dug by Vishnu and filled with his sweat; great numbers of pilgrims bathe in its venerated water.
- Born and bred in or near the Western Ghat mountains and the numerous tributary ranges, they have all the qualities of mountaineers.
- About three-quarters of a mile away, on the banks of the river Ganges, is the Massacre Ghat.
- A few feet away, down in the bathing ghat, women wash their clothes in the same water.
- They are notably divided into two sections: the Konkanast, coming from the Konkan or littoral tract on the west coast below the Western Ghat mountains; and the Deshast, coming from the uplands or Deccan, on the east of the mountains.Advertisement
- Ghat is an important centre of the caravan trade between the Nigerian states and the seaports of the Mediterranean.
- Palearctic visitors are present during this period along with the Western Ghat specialities.
- Ghat >>
- Ghat is an important centre of the caravan trade between the Nigerian states and the seaports of the Mediterranean (see Tripoli).
- The Ghadamsi merchants have been known for centuries as keen and adventurous traders, and their agents are to be found in the more important places of the western and central Sudan, such as Kano, Katsena, Kanem, Bornu, Timbuktu, as well as at Ghat and Tripoli.Advertisement
- The Bhor Ghat, on the northern border of the state, has always been the main pass over the Western Ghats, or means of communication between the seacoast and the Deccan.
- This river takes its rise on the eastern slopes of the Ghat range of mountains, and just opposite to it, on the western face of the range, is the source of the river Periyar.
- This gap affords a passage to the winds which elsewhere are barred by the hills of the Ghat chain.
- Steps lead from this temple to an enclosed flight of stairs, which in the cold season descend to the water, but in the rains are covered almost to the top. This is the ghat where some 600 helpless people were slain, in spite of a promise of safe-conduct from the Nana.
- The story goes that, having been deeply impressed by Ramananda's teaching, he sought to attach himself to him; and, one day at Benares, in stepping down the ghat at daybreak to bathe in the Ganges, and putting himself in the way of the teacher, the latter, having inadvertently struck him with his foot, uttered his customary exclamation" Ram Ram,"which, being also the initiatory formula of the sect, was claimed by Kabir as such, making him Ramananda's disciple.Advertisement