Geodesy sentence example
- In "geodesy," and the cognate subject "figure of the earth," the matter of greatest moment with regard to the sphere is the determination of the area of triangles drawn on the surface of a sphere - the so-called "spherical triangles"; this is a branch of trigonometry, and is studied under the name of spherical trigonometry.
- Legendre's theorem is a fundamental one in geodesy, and his contributions to the subject are of the greatest importance.
- See also Spherical Harmonics.) Geodesy.
- Hence geodesy may be regarded as a branch of practical astronomy.
- When the fluctuation in the position of the pole was fully confirmed, its importance in astronomy and geodesy led the International Geodetic Association to establish a series of stations round the globe, as nearly as possible on the same parallel of latitude, for the purpose of observing the fluctuation with a greater degree of precision than could be attained by the miscellaneous observations before available.Advertisement
- The investigation of triangles and other figures drawn upon the surface of a sphere is all-important in the sciences of astronomy, geodesy and geography.
- It will thus be seen that Legendre's works have placed him in the very foremost rank in the widely distinct subjects of elliptic functions, theory of numbers, attractions, and geodesy, and have given him a conspicuous position in connexion with the integral calculus and other branches of mathematics.
- He remained at Dorpat, occupied with researches on double stars and geodesy till 1839, when he removed to superintend the construction of the new central observatory at Pulkowa near St Petersburg, afterwards becoming director.
- The science of geodesy is part of mathematical geography, of which the arts of surveying and cartography are applications.
- This post he retained until 1894, when he migrated to the university of Cracow as extraordinary professor, becoming in 1897 ordinary professor of astronomy and geodesy.Advertisement
- Geodesy >>
- geodesy unit in standby, the single blue light is fab and looks the business.
- The data products are stored in a central databank and made available online to the space geodesy and geodynamics community.
- The publication has chapters that address key issues in geodesy such as geodetic surveying techniques, geodetic systems, physical geodesy and satellite geodesy.
- In geodetic measurements the dimensions of the triangles vary with the temperature of the earth, but these variations in the same region of the earth are smaller than the variations of the temperature of the air, less than 10Ã‚° C. Adopting as a co-efficient of dilatation of the earth's crust 0.000002, the variations of the distances are smaller than the errors of measurement (see Geodesy).Advertisement
- (See Geodesy; Earth, Figure Of.) His Son Otto Wilhelm Struve (b.