Geocentric sentence example
- (2) A theorem relating to the apparent curvature of the geocentric path of a comet.
- The relation of geocentric to apparent co-ordinates depends upon the latitude of the observer.
- The choice made by Hipparchus of the geocentric theory of the universe decided the future of Greek astronomy.
- However, true progress in understanding the solar system and the planets only came when heliocentric ideas began to supplant the old geocentric system.
- But the explanation of this phenomenon is equally consistent with the geocentric as with the heliocentric theory of the solar system.Advertisement
- According To The Best Determinations Of Modern Astronomy (Le Verrier'S Solar Tables, Paris, 1858, P. 102), The Mean Geocentric Motion Of The Sun In Longitude, From The Mean Equinox During A Julian Year Of 365.25 Days, The Same Being Brought Up To The Present Date, Is 360 0 27" 685.
- What is its true declination, after correcting for geocentric parallax?
- Geocentric parallax is the angle between the direction of the body as seen from the surface of the earth and the direction in which it appears from the centre of the earth.
- The longitudes and latitudes thus defined are geocentric, and the latitude is slightly different from that in ordinary use for geographic purposes.
- The geocentric latitude of a place is the angle which the line from the earth's centre to the place makes with the plane of the equator.Advertisement
- Co-ordinates referred to.a point of observation as the origin are termed " apparent," those referred to the centre of the earth are " geocentric," those referred to the centre of the sun, " heliocentric."
- But the observations do not extend continuously throughout the year, and do not include a sufficient length of the central line on each evening to enable us to distinguish certainly the heliocentric latitude of the central line, as distinct from its apparent geocentric position.