Gentians sentence example
- Nearly all the species of plants which grow on these prairies are common to Europe (paeonics, Hemerocallis, asters, pinks, gentians, violets, Cypripedium, Aquilegia, Delphinium, aconites, irises and so on), but here the plants attain a much greater size; a man standing erect is often hidden by the grasses.
- Among indigenous fruit-bearing trees, shrubs and vines the state has the bird cherry, black cherry, blueberry, cranberry, raspberry, blackberry, gooseberry, strawberry, grape and black currant; and conspicuous among a very great variety of shrubs and flowering plants are the rose, dogwood, laurel, sumac, holly, winterberry, trilliums, anemones, arbutuses, violets, azaleas, eglantine, clematis, blue gentians, orange lilies, orchids, asters and golden rod.
- Hay cutting and carefully managed grazing produces a rich floral assemblage including gentians and orchids.
- On the southern slopes are Alpine gentians, which need a full sun to display their flowers.
- A short ascent brings us to a delightful picnic spot among mountain gentians.Advertisement
- Sweeps of purple flowering heather and sweet scented gorse dominate the heathland whilst the wetlands harbor insect-eating sundews and rare marsh gentians.
- Common Auricula (Primula Auricula) - In a wild state this is one of the many charming Primulas that rival Gentians, Pinks, and Forget-me-Nots in making the alpine fields so exquisitely beautiful.
- O. Halleri has charming, compact flowers, of as deep a blue as that of the Gentians, and proves a manageable plant in the rock garden in deep moist loam.