Geddes sentence example
- Very different was the case in England; after Geddes and Lowth, at the close of the 18th, till far down into the 19th century, the attitude even of scholars (with rare exceptions) was hostile to critical developments, and no independent critical work was done.
- Geddes, another " salt settlement," was founded in 1803.
- Geddes was annexed in 1886.
- 259, 260; Hardwick, Middle Ages, P. 337 3 Geddes, History of the Church of Malabar, p. 4; Neale, Eastern Church, ii.
- The procedure was purely despotic, and at the first attempt to use the liturgy in St Giles's there broke out the famous " Jenny Geddes " riot in the church (23rd of July 1637).Advertisement
- In London Geddes soon received an appointment in connexion with the chapel of the imperial ambassador, and was also helped by Lord Petre in his scheme for a new Catholic version of the Bible.
- In 1786, supported also by such scholars as Benjamin Kennicott and Robert Lowth, Geddes published a Prospectus of a new Translation of the Holy Bible, a considerable quarto volume, in which the defects of previous translations were fully pointed out, and the means indicated by which these might be removed.
- Geddes was engaged on a critical translation of the Psalms (published in 1807) when he was seized with an illness of which he died on the 26th of February 1802.
- Besides pamphlets on the Catholic and slavery questions, as well as several fugitive jeux d'esprit, and a number of unsigned articles in the Analytical Review, Geddes also published a free metrical version of Select Satires of Horace (1779), and a verbal rendering of the First Book of the Iliad of Homer (1792).
- The introduction of this service book in St Giles's Church, Edinburgh, on the 16th of July 1637, occasioned the tumult of which Jenny Geddes will always figure as the heroine.Advertisement
- In 1864 he was appointed to help Professor Geddes with his Greek classes, but he gave up the vacations to philosophical work.
- Books-Books will always be the perfect gift, and you can't go wrong with the Twins Book by Anne Geddes.
- In addition to Patrick Duffy, Larry Hagman, Barbara Bel Geddes, Victoria Principal and Linda Gray, the soap opera Dallas featured multiple guest stars from primetime and daytime alike.