Gastrovascular sentence example
- Thus the disposition of the endoderm-cavities is roughly comparable to the gastrovascular system of a medusa.
- The archenteron becomes the gastrovascular system or coelenteron.
- The ectoderm covers the whole external surface of the animal, while the endoderm lines the coelenteron or gastrovascular space; the two layers meet each other, and become continuous, at the edge of the mouth.
- The gastrovascular system shows every degree of complexity from a very primitive to a highly elaborate type of structure.
- The mesogloea becomes enormously increased in quantity (hence the popular name "jelly-fish"), and in correlation with this the endoderm-layer lining the coelenteron becomes pressed together in the interradial areas and undergoes concrescence, forming a more or less complicated gastrovascular system (see Medusa).Advertisement
- Oesophagus, stomach, radial canals, ring-canal and tentacle-canals, constitute together the gastrovascular system and are lined throughout by endoderm, which forms also a flat sheet of cells connecting the radial canals and ring canal together like a web; this is the so-called endoderm-lamella (e.l.), a most important feature of medusan morphology, the nature of which will be apparent when the development is described.
- Jellyfish are planktonic carnivores that seek their nourishment through a gastrovascular cavity, rather than a digestive tract.