Gastrostomy sentence example
- This operation is called gastrostomy and may be the means of giving many weeks of comfort to the unhappy patient - provided that its performance is not too long postponed.
- Special techniques and procedures are then required to provide adequate nutrition, such as special nipples, manipulation of mouth and jaw, and on rare occasions, insertion of a gastrostomy tube.
- Nutrients can be introduced directly into the stomach through a tube inserted either through the nose (a nasogastric tube) or through the abdominal wall (a gastrostomy tube).
- In some individuals, a tube from the stomach to the outside of the abdomen (gastrostomy tube) may be required to eliminate the need for swallowing large volumes of liquids and to decrease the risk of aspiration.
- The weakness in the throat muscles seen especially in OPMD and later DMD may necessitate the use of a gastrostomy tube, inserted in the stomach to provide nutrition directly.Advertisement
- Some babies eventually progress to bottle or breastfeeding, while others have a gastrostomy (G-tube) placed abdominally to prevent the trauma of tube insertion.
- Some patients with EE/EG/EC are even fed elemental formulas via a gastrostomy tube or are limited to TPN (blood-vessel feeding) if the disease is severe with many complications.
- Gastrostomy tube-A tube that is inserted through a small incision in the abdominal wall and that extends through the stomach wall into the stomach for the purpose of introducing parenteral feedings.
- In this case, a gastrostomy (stomach tube) may be surgically placed directly into the stomach for feeding.