Gangliosides sentence example
- Gangliosides are fatty substances necessary for the proper development of the brain and nerve cells (nervous system).
- Under normal conditions, gangliosides are continuously broken down, so that an appropriate balance is maintained.
- In Tay-Sachs disease, the enzyme necessary for removing excess gangliosides is missing.
- This situation allows gangliosides to accumulate throughout the brain and is responsible for the disability associated with the disease.
- Without this enzyme, gangliosides cannot be broken down.Advertisement