Gammer sentence example
- Contemporary Puritan writers in the Marprelate tracts allude to Dr John Bridges, dean of Salisbury, author of A Defence of the Government of the Church of England, as the reputed author of Gammer Gurton's Needle, but he obviously could not be properly described as "Mr S."
- There are reasons to suppose however that the play had been in Colwell's hands some time before it was printed, and it may well be identical with the Dyccon of Bedlam for which he took out a licence in 1562-1563, "Diccon the Bedlem" being the first of the dramatis personae of Gammer Gurton.
- If such is the case, there is reason to think that the composition of Gammer Gurton's Needle should be referred to the earlier period.
- Still, whose reputation as a serious churchman cannot be easily reconciled with the buffoonery of A Ryght Pithy, Pleasaunt and merle Comedie: Intytuled Gammer Gurtons Nedle, was first credited with its authorship by Isaac Reed in his edition (1782) of Baker's Biographia dramatica.
- Gammer Gurton's Needle is the second extant English comedy, properly so called.Advertisement