It falls within the north-western counties of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire (Furness district), about one-half being within the first ' of these.
Bowness lies at the head of a small bay, is served by the lake-steamers of the Furness Railway Company, and is a favourite yachting, boating, fishing and tourist centre.
By Furness, J.
MILLOM, a market town in the Egremont parliamentary division of Cumberland, England, in the extreme south-west of the county, on the Furness railway.
The Cavendish dock adjoining the Ramsden dock on the E., 146 ac. in extent, has been leased by the Furness Railway Cp. to the firm of Vickers Ltd.
Of Whitehaven, served by the Furness, London & North-Western and Cleator .& Workington Junction railways.
At the head of Windermere is Waterhead, the landing-stage of Ambleside, which is served by the lake steamers of the Furness Railway Company.
In the latter edition a continuation, the Annales Furnesienses (1190-1298), composed by a monk of Furness Abbey, Lancashire, is also given.
ULVERSTON, a market town in the North Lonsdale parliamentary division of Lancashire, England, in the Furness district, q a m.
From Barrow-in-Furness and 256 m.
From London, on the Furness railway.
After the destruction of Furness Abbey, Ulverston succeeded Dalton as the most important town in Furness, but the rapid rise of Barrow surpassed it in modern times.
In length, owned by the Furness railway, it has a shipping trade in iron and slates.
Early in the 12th century the manor passed to Stephen, count of Boulogne, and was given by him to Furness Abbey.
DALTON-IN-FURNESS, a market town in the North Lonsdale parliamentary division of Lancashire, England, 4 m.
Of Barrow-in-Furness by the Furness railway.
The church of St Mary is in the main a modern reconstruction, but retains ancient fragments and a font believed to have belonged to Furness Abbey.
Here was held the manorial court of Furness Abbey.
There are numerous iron-ore mines in the parish, and ironworks at Askam-in-Furness, in the northern part of the district.
It lies mainly in a valley opening upon the Irish Sea, with high ground to north and south, and is served by the London & North-Western, the Cockermouth, Keswick & Penrith and the Furness railways.
Furness, Home Life of Borneo Headhunters (London, 1902); O.
CHRISTOPHER URSWICK (1448-1522), English diplomatist, was born at Furness in Lancashire and was probably educated at Cambridge.
7.1 Railways 7.2 Furness 7.3 North Staffordshire 7.4 Cross-Country Connexions 7.5 Oversea Communications
Where the Coal Measures reach the sea at Whitehaven, there are coal-mines, and the hematite of the Carboniferous Limestones has given rise to the active ironworks of Barrow-in-Furness, now the largest town in the district.
The richness of the ore (about 30% of metal) is by no means so great as the red haematite ore found in Cumberland and north Lancashire (Furness district, &c.).
Some of the lesser deposits have been worked out, and even in the rich Furness fields it has been found difficult to pursue the ore.
The import of ore (the bulk coming from Spain) has consequently increased, and the ports where the principal import trade is carried on are those which form the principal outlets of the iron-working districts of Cleveland and Furness, namely Middlesbrough and Barrow-in-Furness.
FURNESS, a district of Lancashire, England, separated from the major portion of the county by Morecambe Bay.
The usage of the term "Lake District," however, tends to limit the name of Furness in common thought to the district south of the Lakes, where several of the place-names are suffixed with that of the district, as Barrow-inFurness, Dalton-in-Furness, Broughton-in-Furness.
That part of Furness which forms a peninsula between the Leven estuary and Morecambe Bay, and the Duddon estuary, is rich in hematite iron ore, which has been worked from very early times.
It was known and smelted by British and Romans, and by the monks of Furness Abbey and Conishead Priory, both in the district.
The district is served by the main line of the Furness railway, from Carnforth (junction with the London & North-Western railway), passing the pleasant watering-place of Grange, and approximately following the coast by Ulverston, Dalton and Barrow, with branches to Lake Side, Windermere, and to Coniston.
Apart from its industrial importance and scenic attractions, Furness has an especial interest on account of its famous abbey.
The abbey of Furness, otherwise Furdenesia or the further nese (promontory), which was dedicated to St Mary, was founded in 1127 by a small body of monks belonging to the Benedictine order of Savigny.
In 1124 they had settled at Tulketh, near Preston, but migrated in 1127 to Furness under the auspices of Stephen, count of Boulogne, afterwards king, at that time lord of the liberty of Furness.
Stephen granted to the monks the lordship of Furness, and his charter was confirmed by Henry I., Henry II.
When she met Dr. Furness, the Shakespearean scholar, he warned her not to let the college professors tell her too many assumed facts about the life of Shakespeare; all we know, he said, is that Shakespeare was baptized, married, and died.