Forced-labour sentence example
- Judah and Israel dwelt at ease, or held the superior position of military officials, while the earlier inhabitants of the land were put to forced labour.
- takes the part of his subjects against the excessive zeal of the official Gadatas, and grants freedom of taxation and exemption from forced labour to those connected with a temple of Apollo in Asia Minor (Bulletin de correspondance hellenique, xiii.
- The begs and agas continued to exact their forced labour and one-third of their produce; the central government imposed a tithe which had become an eighth by 1875.
- " Prestations " are payments in lieu of services (apart from military service) to the state, such as maintenance of highways, &c. - in effect, purchase of exoneration from forced labour.
- In addition to the tribute, which was in accordance with native usage, there was the " mita," or forced labour in mines, farms and manufactories.Advertisement
- In the second half of the 17th century the monopoly system and the employment of slaves and forced labour gave rise to many abuses, and there was a rapid decline in the revenue from sugar, coffee and opium, while the competition of the British East India Company, which now exported spices, indigo, &c. from India to Europe, was severely felt.
- By exacting forced labour from the peasants he gave France admirable roads, though at the cost of rousing angry discontent.
- 6, 8-12, lob) the Israelites dwell apart in the province of Goshen, and their numbers become so great as to call for severe measures of repression, the method employed being that of forced labour.
- This high road is stated (on Afghan authority) to be kept open for khafila traffic all the year round by the employment of forced labour for clearing snow.
- The statement, moreover, that some eight millions of Indians perished through forced labour in the mines is a gross exaggeration.Advertisement
- It approved the concessions system in principle and regarded forced labour as the only possible means of turning to account the natural riches of the country, but recognized that though freedom of trade was formally guaranteed there was virtually no trade, properly so called, among the natives in the greater portion of the Congo State, and particularly emphasized the need for a liberal interpretation of the land laws, effective application of the law limiting the amount of labour exacted from the natives to forty hours per month, the suppression of the" sentry "system, the withdrawal from the concession companies of the right to employ compulsory measures, the regulation of military expeditions, and the freedom of the courts from administrative tutelage.
- This is due in large measure to the system of forced labour instituted by the state.
- 1 This forced labour was to be remunerated and was regarded as in the nature of a tax.
- The region between i Forced labour had, however, been authorized in 1891 and exacted in practice since the foundation of the state.
- The price of the land, which was calculated on the basis of the value of the forced labour to which the landlord had been entitled, was about £1, 16s.Advertisement
- The franchise was now extended to all citizens, a cumulative voting power being reserved, however, for property, and the peasantry were emancipated from forced labour.
- Various abuses, especially forced labour on roads which were often private jobs, caused the Oakboy Insurrection in 1764.
- The Spanish government made strenuous attempts to regulate forced labour by limiting the rights of the masters.