Forbear sentence example
- A woman could not forbear declaring openly that her faith had saved her.
- However, she could not now forbear; for the love of Christ constrained her.
- And even a recalcitrant press could scarce forbear to cheer.
- What from the sounds Of organ, fife or lute To him redounds, Who doth no sin forbear?
- Even the massed ranks of UKIP could scarce forbear to cheer.Advertisement
- But I cannot forbear observing, that I should be more obliged to them for the delivery of more facts from which to reason.
- If thou forbear not, I will indeed stone thee: Now get away from me for a good long while!
- As an example of mispunctuation we may take Shelley's Triumph of Life, 188 sqq., "` If thou can'st, forbear To join the dance, which I had well forborne ' Said the grim Feature of my thought ` Aware I I will unfold,'" &c., for "said the grim Feature (of my thought aware) ` I will unfold.'" Grammatical Assimilations.
- Great Britain was to hold all her possessions in the New World as her own property (a remarkable concession on the part of Spain), and consented, on behalf of her subjects, to forbear trading with any Spanish port without licence obtained.
- Whiston informs us that, some time before the publication of this book, a message was sent to him from Lord Godolphin "that the affairs of the public were with difficulty then kept in the hands of those that were for liberty; that it was therefore an unseasonable time for the publication of a book that would make a great noise and disturbance; and that therefore they desired him to forbear till a fitter opportunity should offer itself," - a message that Clarke of course entirely disregarded.Advertisement
- His brother Edmund thus became heir to his father; but in the reduced circumstances of the family he agreed to forbear the title of duke and take that of earl of Suffolk.
- The Three Sermons also point to a moral argument for theism, but forbear to press it (Sermon ii.; when the third sense of the word " Nature " is being explained).
- We have sometimes ascertained things so strange that we cannot forbear expressing our astonishment at the idea that a great power such as ours could maintain itself under such conditions."
- The whole may be summed up in a sentence: - "Worship Yahweh and Yahweh alone, without images, let the worship be simple and in accord with the old usage; forbear to introduce the practices of your Canaanitish neighbours" (Harper).
- So, too, in his great maxim " bear and forbear," the last is a command to refrain from the external advantages.Advertisement
- What I do about slavery and the coloured race, I do because I believe it helps to save this Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union ...