First-gear sentence example
- The first half was pretty turgid stuff from both sides as Swindon struggled to get out of first gear.
- Starting off on a hill requires putting the car in first gear with the emergency brake still engaged, pressing the gas slightly while in first gear, and then releasing the emergency brake.
- Starting Off in First - The trickiest part of driving a standard car is starting off in first gear.
- If you slow all the way to a stop, you will need to move the shifter back to first gear so you can start again.
- Reverse is typically below fifth gear, although it can sometimes be down and to the left from first gear in some European cars.Advertisement
- With the clutch in, move the shifter through the gears starting with first gear.
- Once the car is running, release the parking brake and put the car in first gear.
- You will know when to shift when you feel the car's RPMs increase, meaning the car is going as fast as it wants to go in first gear.
- With the clutch and brake still on, move the shifter into first gear.
- Driving in reverse is similar to shifting into first gear.Advertisement
- This means that first gear will take up you to 15 MPH, second gear 15-30 MPH, third gear 30-45 MPH, fourth gear 45-60 MPH and fifth gear for anything over that.