Finitude sentence example
- The infinity of real existence, in contrast with the necessary finitude of human understanding and experience, is always in his thoughts.
- In Jesus Hegel finds the expression for something higher than mere morality: he finds a noble spirit which rises above the contrasts of virtue and vice into the concrete life, seeing the infinite always embracing our finitude, and proclaiming the divine which is in man and cannot be overcome by error and evil, unless the man close his eyes and ears to the godlike presence within him.
- The first is the type of a certain a priori view, then regarded as the safest bulwark against infidelity, of which the main tenets were that the being of God was capable of a priori proof, and that, owing to the finitude of our faculties, the attributes and modes of operation of deity were absolutely incomprehensible.
- What do such hopes tell us about our attitudes to mortality and our attitudes to human finitude?
- Our concepts of knowing and loving are necessarily dimmed with our own finitude, stained with our nothingness.Advertisement
- Schleiermacher applies the phrase " the immortality of religion " to the religious emotion of oneness, amid finitude, with the infinite and, amid time, with the eternal; denies any necessary connexion between the belief in the continuance of personal existence and the consciousness of God; and rests his faith on immortality altogether on Christ's promise of living fellowship with His followers, as presupposing their as well as His personal immortality.