Filmer sentence example
- It is intelligible that Locke (Treatises of Civil Government) should have a relish in quoting Hooker against the divineright royalism of Sir John Filmer; but in Locke there is already 1 Recorded in J.
- Sir Robert Filmer >>
- It is the kernel of the theories of Hobbes, Rousseau, Filmer and Locke.
- An ideal state of society is described in the writings of Hobbes, Sir Robert Filmer and J.
- (2) Two Treatises on Government (1690) (the Patriarcha of Filmer, to which the First Treatise was a reply, appeared in 1680).Advertisement
- The attack on Sir Robert Filmer in Locke's First Treatise on Government was an anachronism.
- His Treatises on Government were meant to vindicate the Convention parliament and the English revolution, as well as to refute the ideas of absolute monarchy held by Hobbes and Filmer.
- Her next job was to prepare breakfast for the other old lady, Mrs Filmer, Wykham's mother.
- The idea of putting forward political and philosophical principles under the fiction of an ideal state was doubtless taken from Plato's Republic. The Utopia in turn suggested the literary form adopted by Bacon, Hobbes, Filmer, and other later writers; and the name of the book has passed into the language as signifying optimistic but impracticable ideals of reform.