Filariasis sentence example
- In the case of filariasis due to Filaria bancrofti, which is common throughout the Tropics, the embryos of the parasite are disseminated by various Culicinae and Anophelinae (Culex pipiens in Queensland; C. fatigans in the West Indies; Myzomyia rossii in India; Pyretophorus costalis in a large portion of tropical Africa; &c.).
- Infection with these worms is called " lymphatic filariasis " and over a long period of time can cause elephantiasis.
- The spatial dynamics of mosquito transmission of lymphatic filariasis in Papua New Guinea E. C. Chapman, LC.
- lymphatic filariasis in Papua New Guinea E. C. Chapman, LC.
- In 1894, however, Sir Patrick Manson, arguing with greater precision by analogy from his own discovery of the cause of filariasis and the part played by mosquitoes, suggested that the malarial parasite had a similar intermediate host outside the human body, and that a suctorial insect, which would probably be found to be a particular mosquito, was required for its development.Advertisement
- There is reason to believe that malaria, yellow fever and filariasis are not the only diseases disseminated by mosquitoes.