Field-guns sentence example
- But after three hours, Pescara's light horse having meantime been driven in by the superior light horse of the enemy, the artillery-loving duke of Ferrara conceived the brilliant plan of taking his mobile field-guns to the extreme right of the enemy.
- guns, and a few boat and field guns as secondary armament.
- On the 16th the French field-guns fired into the town, and Mack realized that his troops were no longer under sufficient control to endure a siege.
- The first few days of the British advance passed with little resistance from the enemy, who fell back rapidly under cover of the fire of light machine-guns and isolated field guns.
- Tilt of sights in field guns owing to the sinking of one wheel had long been recognized as a source of error, and allowed for by a rule-of-thumb correction, depending on the fact that the track of the wheels of British field artillery gun-carriages is 60", so that, for every inch one wheel is lower than the other, the whole system is turned through one degree - a_ hXl ?Advertisement
- The siege corps was commanded by General von Tresckow and numbered at first io,000 men with twenty-four field guns - a force which appeared adequate for the reduction of the antiquated works of Vauban.
- army corps at the Lisaine, in which a part of the siege corps bore a share, put an end to the attempt to relieve Belfort, and the siege corps was promptly increased to a strength of 17,600 infantry, 4700 artillery and i too engineers, with thirtyfour field-guns besides the guns and howitzers of the siege train.
- regiments or 12 battalions), 2 regiments of field artillery (comprising 9 batteries of field-guns and 3 of field howitzers, 72 pieces in all), 3 squadrons of cavalry, I Or 2 companies of pioneers, a bridge ttain and I or 2 bearer companies; (c) corps troops, 1 battalion rifles, telegraph troops, bridge train, ammunition columns, train (supply) battalion, field bakeries, bearer companies and field hospitals, &c., with, as a rule, one or two batteries of heavy field howitzers or mortars and a machine-gun group. The remainder of the cavalry and horse artillery attached to the army corps in peace goes in war to form the cavalry divisions.
- The usual strength of the corps is, 2 infantry divisions (4 brigades, 8 or 9 regiments, 32 or 36 battalions), 1 cavalry brigade (18 squadrons), and 1 artillery brigade (16-18 batteries or 128-144 field-guns), besides technical and departmental units and in some cases fortress artillery regiments.
- Ismail had collected 500 field-guns, 200 Armstrong cannon., and had created factories of warlike and other stores.Advertisement
- The attack failed completely, thanks to the heroic defence of the Forli Bde., and the admirable work of the Italian field guns.
- During the next few days the captured positions were consolidated and field guns brought up. During the main attack the Montenegrins on the N.
- calibre (the latter, as mentioned above, being capable of penetrating most of the Turkish vaults) as well as some 250 or more field guns.
- In the meantime, on both sides of this battery, the assailants had come to close quarters with the Russian columns, which were aided by their field guns.
- Among the field guns on the brow of the hill the general in command of the rearguard stood with a staff officer, scanning the country through his fieldglass.Advertisement