Fertilizes sentence example
- A botanist notices that the bee flying with the pollen of a male flower to a pistil fertilizes the latter, and sees in this the purpose of the bee's existence.
- Scorpio, being a terrestrial animal, fertilizes by copulation.
- The soil, even with little culture, is exceedingly productive, owing to the abundance of water which irrigates and fertilizes it.
- In John Houghton's Collections on Husbandry and Trade, a periodical work begun in 1681, there is one of the earliest notices of turnips being eaten by sheep:" Some in Essex have their fallow after turnips, which feed their sheep in winter, by which means the turnips are scooped, and so made capable to hold dews and rain water, which, by corrupting,; _ mbibes the nitre of the air, and when the shell breaks it runs about and fertilizes.
- Another important river is the Hlaing, which runs through the district from north to south, receiving from the east, through numerous channels, the drainage of the Pegu Yoma Mountains, which fertilizes the plain on its eastern bank.Advertisement
- In 1799 an Englishman, Thomas Andrew Knight, after experiments on the cross-fertilization of cultivated plants, formulated the conclusion that no plant fertilizes itself through many generations.
- In the simplest instances the pollen of one flower fertilizes the ovules of another on the same plant, owing to the stamens arriving at maturity in any one flower earlier or later than the pistils.
- Launched upon an unknown world, and guided by unerring instinct to the very flowers it seeks, the bee fertilizes fruit and flowers while winging its happy flight among the blossoms, gathering pollen for the nurslings of its own home and honey for the use of man.
- Male sperm cells contain either an X or a Y; if the sperm with the Y chromosome fertilizes an egg, the baby will be male.
- IVF: in vitro fertilization is a process in which a physician fertilizes several eggs and implants them in the woman's uterus.Advertisement
- Conception occurs when a sperm fertilizes the egg, creating an embryo that attaches to the uterine wall.
- If the sperm that fertilizes the egg is an X, then the baby will be XX or female.
- If the sperm that fertilizes the egg is Y, then the baby will be XY or male.
- Normally, a woman becomes pregnant when sperm fertilizes the egg.
- The Gash nevertheless fertilizes a considerable tract of country.Advertisement