Ferme sentence example
- He also contemplated a thorough-going reform of the ferme generale, but contented himself, as a beginning, with imposing certain conditions on the leases as they were renewed - such as a more efficient personnel, and the abolition for the future of the abuse of the croupes (the name given to a class of pensions), a reform which Terray had shirked on finding how many persons in high places were interested in them, and annulling certain leases, such as those of the manufacture of gunpowder and the administration of the messageries, the former of which was handed over to a company with the scientist Lavoisier as one of its advisers, and the latter superseded by a quicker and more comfortable service of diligences which were nicknamed" turgotines."He also prepared a regular budget.
- In France, the Code Civil recognizes two such relationships, the letting to hire of houses (bail a loyer) and the letting to farm of rural properties (bail d ferme).
- It had still further vices: not only were nobles and ecclesiastics exempt from it, but many other privileges had been introduced by law, total or partial exemption extending to a large number of civil and military officials and employes of the crown on the ferme generale.
- You stay in delightful ferme auberges and a stylish country hotel.
- However reluctant some states may be to bind themselves to any rules excluding recourse to brute force when diplomatic negotiations have failed, they have nevertheless unanimously at the Hague Conference of 1907 declared their " firm determination to cooperate in the maintenance of general peace " (la ferme volonte de concourir au maintien de la paix generale) 1, and their resolution " to favour with all their efforts the amicable settlement of international conflicts " (preamble to Peace Convention).Advertisement
- 535 et seq.) and bail d ferme (Pacht, Arts.