Farthings sentence example
- in halfpence or farthings.
- Per contra the tax was wholly unfelt, a shilling a quarter only affecting an average family of four persons to the extent of three shillings per annum, or about three farthings a week, while it was paid little by little, as Adam Smith explains with regard to indirect taxes in general.
- Thus we get successive multiplication; but it represents quite different operations according as it is due to repetition, in the sense of § 34, or to subdivision, and these operations will be exhibited by different diagrams. Of the two diagrams below, A exhibits the successive multiplication of £3 by 20, 12 and 4, and B the successive reduction of £3 to shillings, pence and farthings.
- 4 I boy 7 apples 3 boys 21 apples Unit Number Product in § 37; A representing the determination of 2 0 of 7 1 2 of 4 of 2880 farthings, and B the conversion of 2880 farthings into L.
- Throughout the Medieval period and into the 17th century, too few silver farthings were issued.Advertisement
- Reply from Carole:- Carole writes, " They used to give a farthings worth of dressmaking pins instead of a farthings worth of dressmaking pins instead of a farthing!
- A debt of a thousand pounds is not discharged by two or three brass farthings.
- It was the first bi-metallic coin issued in the UK since the tin farthings with a copper plug in 1692.
- Smaller coins - one third and one quarter farthings - were minted mainly for use in some British colonies.
- Thus twelve pennies make a shilling, and twenty shillings a pound, while the penny is itself divided into four farthings (or 8 I 2 3 no settled of symbols ..Advertisement