Faliscan sentence example
- In the Chalcidian alphabet the symbol for x was placed after the symbols common to all Greek alphabets, a position which X retains in the Latin (and also in the Faliscan) alphabet.
- Y and Z were added in the last century of the republic for use in transliterating Greek words containing v and 1.1 The dialect which was most closely akin to Latin was Faliscan.
- Much more important than the scanty remains of Faliscan is the Oscan alphabet.
- This shows some of the phonetic characteristics of the Faliscan dialect, viz.: - 1.
- A large number of inscriptions consisting mainly of proper names may be regarded as Etruscan rather than Faliscan, and they have been disregarded in the account of the dialect just given.Advertisement
- This distinction, however, takes us but a little way towards an historical grouping of the tribes, since the only Latinian dialects of which, besides Latin, we have inscriptions are Faliscan and Marsian (see FALISCT, MAR51); although the place-names of the Aequi suggest that they belong to the same group in this respect.