Factotum sentence example
- Under the superintendence of the Curia Regis and the exchequer, the sheriff still remained the kings factotum in local affairs.
- His activity was prodigious, and Catharine called him her factotum.
- Gallop off to our Moscow estate, he said to the factotum who appeared at his call.
- Ostensibly, he was only the Holstein minister at Charles's court, in reality he was everything in Sweden except a Swedish subject - finance minister, plenipotentiary to foreign powers, factotum, and responsible to the king alone, though he had not a line of instructions.
- Enter, stage right, Carol Willis, chief factotum and all-round good egg.Advertisement
- humourith his previous film, Kitchen Stories (2003 ), Hamer suffuses Factotum with an unflinching deadpan humor.
- He was an ex-abbe who had shown his devotion to his mistress when her life was threatened, and henceforward was installed at Nohant as factotum.
- His successor, Alexander Mavrocordato, surnamed Exaporritos, was charged by the Turkish government with the delicate and arduous negotiation of the treaty of Carlowitz, and by his dexterity succeeded, in spite of his questionable fidelity to the interests of his employers, in gaining their entire confidence, and in becoming the factotum of Ottoman policy.
- He was so much the king's factotum that Froissart (i.
- Another constitutional ~dvance was that which substituted coroners, knights chosen by the county court, for the kings old factotum the sheriff in the duty of holding the pleas of the crown, i.e.Advertisement
- The intendant became the kings factotum, not purchasing his office but liable to dismissal, the governments confidential agent and the real repository of royal authority, the governor being only for show (see INTENDANT).
- The Lost-in-Space Robinsons employed their robot as a sort of general factotum, and even Gort, of Klaatu Barada Nicto fame, was only following orders.