Factitious sentence example
- The name has by some later Oriental writers been modified into Hindu Koh (mountain), but this is factitious, and throws no more light on the origin of the title.
- But as a matter of fact no more entirely factitious book ever issued from the press.
- With the virtuous life was further to be conjoined a humble disposition to adore the Creator, avoiding all factitious forms of worship as worse than useless.
- A fourth sort consists of the very bad or wholly factitious pieces.
- It is written for two choirs, the one of five and the other of four voices, and has obtained a celebrity which, if not entirely factitious, is certainly not due to its intrinsic merits alone.Advertisement
- The farm value was $747,950,057, an increase since 1890 of 46.1%; while the total product-value was $162,696,386 - an increase (partly factitious) of 1 43.4% in the same period.
- He published numerous works on different branches of physics, including A Complete Treatise on Electricity (1777), Treatise on the Nature and Properties of Air and other permanently Elastic Fluids (1781), History and Practice of Aerostation (1785), Treatise on Magnetism (1787), Elements of Natural and Experimental Philosophy (1803), Theory and Practice of Medical Electricity (1780), and Medical Properties of Factitious Air (1798).
- The parliamentary opposition to the impost, which the Left denounced as the tax on hunger, was largely factitious.
- Repnin convinced himself that the dissidents were too poor and insignificant to be of any real support to Russia, and that the whole agitation in their favour was factitious.
- But allowance must be made for the mere advantage of initiative which belonged to any party that organized the government - the differences between Hamilton and Jefferson, in this question of neutrality, being almost purely factitious.Advertisement
- Factitious disorder-A mental condition in which symptoms are deliberately manufactured by patients in order to gain attention and sympathy.
- They, having the great opportunity of initiative, organized it in all its branches, giving it an administrative machinery that in the main endures to-day; established the doctrine of national neutrality toward European conflicts (although the variance of Federalist and Republican opinion on this point was largely factitious); and fixed the practice of a liberal construction of the Constitution,) - not only by Congress, but above all by the United States Supreme Court, which, under the lead of John Marshall (who had been appointed chief-justice by Pres.
- This bold attempt is entirely factitious and verbal, and it is only his employment of various terms not generally used in such a connexion (axiom, theorem, corollary, etc.) that gives his treatise' its apparent originality.
- In another 10 percent, "factitious fevers" (either self induced or no fever at all) are identified.
- Patients with factitious diseases do not fake symptoms for obvious financial gain or to evade the legal system.Advertisement
- Untangling the Web of Munchausen Syndrome, Munchausen by Proxy, Malingering, and Factitious Disorder.
- Without factitious support, man is sure to come to earth again beyond that distance.
- Categorized as a factitious disorder (a disorder in which the physical or psychological symptoms are under voluntary control), Munchausen syndrome seems to be motivated by a need to assume the role of a patient.