Factional sentence example
- When the convention met and the balloting began, the contest along these factional lines started in earnest.
- Moreover, factional strife broke out within the party itself; Adams and Hamilton became alienated, and members of Adams's own cabinet virtually looked to Hamilton rather than to the president as their political chief.
- The factional strife in the Republican party continued, a number of efforts being made to impeach Governor Harrison Reed (1813-1899).
- In England the inevitable conflict of interests between the new mercantile power, growing conscious of its national strength, and the old, standing insistant on the letter of its privileges, was postponed by the factional discord out of which the Hansa in 1474 dexterously snatched a renewal of its rights.
- The city was rent by factional quarrels when war broke out between Mexico and the United States, but the appearance of United States troops under Commodore Robert F.Advertisement
- The Republican leaders straightway quarrelled among themselves, thus starting the long series of factional strifes which have characterized the party politics of New York state; the bitterness of the factions and the irresponsible council of appointment are also responsible for the firm establishment early in the Republican regime of the " spoils system."
- Cleveland likewise carried the state in 1892, but in 1888 Benjamin Harrison, the Republican candidate, the factional quarrels being settled, carried the state.
- The factional quarrels there, together with the Commonwealth government in England, made it easy for Massachusetts to enforce this claim at the time, and between 1652 and 1658 Maine was gradually annexed to Massachusetts.
- The feeble inadequacy of conception, infirmity of power, factional jealousy, disintegrating particularism, and vicious finance of the Confederation were realized by many others; but none other saw so clearly the concrete nationalistic remedies for these concrete ills, or pursued remedial ends so constantly, so ably, and so consistently.
- Bunting rebutted the charges of ' white chauvinism ' spread by his factional opponent La Guma point by point.Advertisement
- Factional reserve lending can be abolished by legislative fiat.
- Arts Council funding would at least be free from the factional infighting that determines so much in local government, in EDDC as elsewhere.
- At the same time the factional dispute became entwined with a personal quarrel.
- Factional rivalry between the major families of France; the most important families in this issue were the Montmorency, Guise and Bourbon families.
- Dante's message is once more, degenerate Italy, fallen from its ancient virtues, lost in factional strife.Advertisement
- It is messy, contentious and factional, but it is also wondrous, inspired, and - above all - serendipitous.
- Dante 's message is once more, degenerate Italy, fallen from its ancient virtues, lost in factional strife.
- A factional strife in the dominant party, the Republican, now began; fifteen delegates withdrew from the convention; the others framed a constitution, and then resolved themselves into a political convention.