Everted sentence example
- A large nematocyst, with everted thread, is seen in the right-hand ectodermal cell.
- B, The same, partially everted by eversion of the sides, as in the Nemertine proboscis and Gastropod eye-tentacle = pleurecbolic.
- C, The same, fully everted.
- In Nemertines the everted proboscis is retracted in the same way as the tip of a glove finger would be if it were pulled backwards by a thread situated in the axis and attached to the tip. The comparison may be carried still further.
- The central thread just alluded to is represented in the Nemertean proboscis by that portion which is never everted, and the tip of the glove by the boundary between the evertible and non-evertible portion of the proboscis - a boundary which in the Metanemertini is marked by the presence of a pointed or serrated stylet.Advertisement
- The colour is generally black-and-tan or brownish, the body is extremely long and cylindrical; the ears are large and pendulous, the legs broad, thick and twisted, with everted paws..
- Fixation takes place by means of this sucker, which is everted for the purpose, part of its epithelium becoming the basal ectoderm of the ancestrula.
- Starfishes devour large numbers; they are able to pull the valves of the shell apart and then to digest the body of the oyster by their everted stomach.
- They are of a dark brown complexion, with very broad noses, lips but slightly everted, and small but usually sturdy physique, though often considerably emaciated owing to insufficiency of food.
- The mouth is anterior and slightly ventral; it leads into a protrusible pharynx armed with recurved teeth that can be everted.Advertisement
- In some species certain of the legs bear on their ventral sides furrows with tumid lips and lined by smooth non-tuberculate epithelium; they are called coxal organs, and it appears that they can be everted.
- G24 YBB Pit F13 C1065 Find no 4124 One fragment of everted closed tubular rim from a funnel beaker.
- This vessel is taller and less carinated than Beaker 1. The rim is slightly everted, and the base is flat.
- It is probably an everted rim, but the rim angle is uncertain.
- Many points in the development and mechanism of the nematocyst are disputed, but it is tolerably certain (I) that the cnidocil is of sensory nature, and that stimulation, by contact with prey or in other ways, causes a reflex discharge of the nematocyst; (2) that the discharge is an explosive change whereby the in-turned thread is suddenly everted and turned inside out, being thus shot through the opening in the outer wall of the capsule, and forced violently into the tissues of the prey, or, it may be, of an enemy; (3) that the thread inflicts not merely a mechanical wound, but instils an irritant poison, numbing and paralysing in its action.Advertisement
- Copulatory organs are absent, except in the Apoda, in which a portion of the cloaca can be everted and acts as a penis.
- The eyelids are everted (turned out) to check for any foreign bodies.