Euphemistic sentence example
- It has always been politic for powerful states to facilitate and hide schemes of aggrandizement under euphemistic expressions; to cloak subjection or dependence by describing it in words inoffensive or strictly applicable to other relations.
- the kind or gracious one - doubtless a euphemistic name - has his prototype in the old fierce storm-god Rudra, the" Roarer,"with certain additional features derived from other deities, especially Pushan, the guardian of flocks and bestower of prosperity, worked up therewith.
- The tithes were originally based on one-tenth of the agricultural produce of the country, but this proportion was gradually raised under the euphemistic pretence of " public instruction," but really, under financial pressure, to 12% and again in 1900 for military " equipments " (Tejhizat-i-'Askeriyeh) by a further 2% to 122%.
- It is said that on this occasion they were first called Eumenides ("the kindly"), a euphemistic variant of their real name.
- The new viceroy, who might have expected a tranquil time after the energetic reforms of his predecessor, soon found himself Lord face to face with the most serious troubles, euphemistic ally called the "unrest," that British rule has had to encounter in India since the Mutiny.Advertisement