Eudaemonism sentence example
- On the other hand attempts have been made to separate hedonism, as the search for a continuous series of physical pleasures, from eudaemonism, a condition of enduring mental satisfaction.
- The term Eudaemonia has been taken in a large number of senses, with consequent variations in the meaning of Eudaemonism.
- Among modern writers, James Seth (Ethical Princ., 1894) resumes Aristotle's position, and places Eudaemonism as the mean between the Ethics of Sensibility (hedonism) and the Ethics of Rationality, each of which overlooks the complex character of human life.
- The value of the term Eudaemonism as an antithesis to Hedonism is thus very questionable.
- It is true that pleasure is the summum bonum of Epicurus, but his conception of that pleasure is profoundly modified by the Socratic doctrine of prudence and the eudaemonism of Aristotle.Advertisement