Escurial sentence example
- The Escurial was built in honour of St Lawrence by Philip II.
- ESCORIAL, or Escurial, in Spain, one of the most remarkable buildings in Europe, comprising at once a convent, a church, a palace and a mausoleum.
- Lorencio el Real del Escurial (Madrid, 1589); Jose de Siguenza, Historia de la orden de San Geronyno, &c. (Madrid, 1590).
- For these reasons he marched by land; and as the roads north of the Tagus were deemed impassable for guns, while transport and supplies for a large force were also difficult to procure, he sent Sir John Hope, with the artillery, cavalry and reserve ammunition column, south of the river, through Badajoz to Almaraz, to move thence through Talavera, Madrid and the Escurial Pass, involving a considerable detour; while he himself with the infantry, marching by successive divisions, took the shorter roads north of the Tagus through Coimbra and Almeida, and also by Alcantara and Coria to Ciudad Rodrigo and Salamanca.
- 28) Baird was at Astorga; Hope at the Escurial Pass; Napoleon himself at Aranda; and French troops at Valladolid, Arevalo and Segovia; so that the French were nearer than either Baird or Hope to Moore at Salamanca.Advertisement
- in less than five days across the snowcovered Escurial Pass, reaching Tordesillas on the Douro on the 26th of December.
- Escurial J.c. 12, saec. x.
- In 1733 the treaty of the Escurial between France, Spain and Savoy against Austria was signed.
- cloistered in the dark towers of the Escurial.