Erythroblastosis sentence example
- Maternal-fetal incompatibilities of ABO blood types leading to neonatal erythroblastosis are less severe and less common than those of the Rh factor.
- Erythroblastosis fetalis can be predicted before birth by determining the mother's blood type.
- In many cases of blood type incompatibility, the symptoms of erythroblastosis fetalis are prevented with careful monitoring and blood type screening.
- Nevertheless, erythroblastosis is a very serious condition for approximately 4,000 babies annually.
- A newborn born with erythroblastosis should be attended to immediately by a pediatrician who is prepared to perform an exchange transfusion at once if required.Advertisement
- Incompatibility between the Rh blood types of mother and child (mother Rh negative, baby Rh positive) can result in severe anemia in the baby (erythroblastosis fetalis).
- Reacting to the anemia, the fetal bone marrow may release immature RBCs, or erythroblasts, into the fetal peripheral circulation, causing erythroblastosis fetalis.
- Erythroblastosis fetalis overwhelms the removal system, and high levels of bilirubin accumulate, causing hyperbilirubinemia, a condition in which the baby becomes jaundiced.
- Because antibody production does not usually begin in a previously unsensitized mother until after delivery, erythroblastosis in subsequent children can be prevented by giving the mother an injection of Rhogam within 72 hours of delivery.