Ennoble sentence example
- Was it not a greater thing to ennoble them than to destroy their artistic representation ?
- In other words, the king or other prince can ennoble.
- In the grasp of a more inexorable necessity, the champion of Greek freedom was borne onward to a more tremendous catastrophe than that which strewed the waters of Salamis with Persian wrecks and the field of Plataea with Persian dead; but to him, at least, it was given to proclaim aloud the clear and sure foreboding that filled his soul, to do all that true heart and free hand could do for his cause, and, though not to save, yet to encourage, to console and to ennoble.
- A genuine baron would in medieval times appoint men to certain offices in his barony, but such appointments did not ennoble them.
- The gain consisted in the rousing of the Jewish consciousness to more virile efforts towards a double end, to succour the persecuted and ennoble the ideals of the emancipated.Advertisement
- He was not an original thinker, but a diligent student, distinguished by great learning, by a turn for historical and philological criticism, and by an earnest purpose to uproot false teaching - especially Christianity, to ennoble men and train them to goodness.
- His A Few Words on Horse-racing, a sport which he did so much to introduce and ennoble, appeared in 1839.
- All vitality had been sapped from the old order of nobles, reduced in prestige by the savonnette a vilains (office purchased to ennoble the holder), enervated by court life, and so robbed of its roots in the soil, from which it had once drawn its strength, that it could no longer live save as a ruinous parasite on the central monarchy.
- In a monarchy, where the king can ennoble, this ideal cannot be kept.