Encratite sentence example
- It is of a strongly Encratite character and dates from the 2nd century.
- - These Acts, which are of a strongly Encratite character, have come down to us in a fragmentary condition.
- The encratite tendency in these Acts is not so strongly developed as in those of Andrew and Thomas.
- Marriage and property had already been eschewed in the Jewish Essene and Therapeutic sects, and in Christianity the name of Encratite was given to those who repudiated marriage and the use of wine.
- In the Catholic church, however, common sense prevailed, and those who desired to follow the Encratite ideal repaired to the monasteries.Advertisement