Encomium sentence example
- The little that is known of him is to be found in his letters and the encomium by his pupil and successor Choricius.
- The encomium upon Hiero II.
- Sir John Hoskyns was in the chair when Dr Vincent presented the manuscript, and passed a high encomium on the novelty and dignity of the subject.
- The Moriae encomium was a sign of his decision.
- The Epistolae, which for the modern reader greatly exceed his other works in interest, have been edited by Demetriades (Vienna, 1792) and by Glukus (Venice, 1812), the Calvitii encomium by Krabinger (Stuttgart, 1834), the De providentia by Krabinger (Sulzbach, 1835), the De regno by Krabinger (Munich, 1825), and the Hymns by Flach (Tubingen, 1875).Advertisement
- That his merits as a scholar were early recognized in his own country is shown by the encomium of Bede (Eccl.
- The finest encomium was passed on him by the queen herself, when she said, "This judgment I have of you, that you will not be corrupted with any manner of gifts, and that you will be faithful to the state."
- His extant works are - (i) a speech before Arcadius, De regno; (2) Dio, sive de suo ipsius instituto, in which he signifies his purpose to devote himself to true philosophy; (3) Encomium calvitii (he was himself bald), a literary jeu d'esprit, suggested by Dio Chrysostom's Praise of Hair; (4) De providentia, in two books; (5) De insomniis; (6) 157 Epistolae; (7) 12 Hymni, of a contemplative, Neoplatonic character; and several homilies and occasional speeches.
- Gregoras, the Vita Palamae by Philotheus, and the encomium by Nilus (both patriarchs of Constantinople); also C. Krumbacher,.
- Within Paul's argument the ambivalent encomium has a clear function.Advertisement
- Thorpe, London, 1848-1849); Encomium Emmae (ed.
- 7; the early Actus Petri Vercellenses; and the late Cypriot Encomium), especially if we might trust the Western ascription to him of the epistle of the Hebrews, which begins with Tertullian (De Pud.
- The genuineness of two rhetorical exercises (The Encomium of Helen and The Defence of Palamedes, edited with Antiphon by F.
- kringla and other materials collected in Vigfusson and Powells Corpus Poeticum Boreale, and for the reign of Canute and his sons there is the contemporary Encomium Emmae, which is a dishonest panegyric on the widow of ~theIred and Canute.
- In the paradoxical encomium, however, he demonstrates that before God wholly different standards apply.Advertisement
- A yet higher encomium by many of our ablest critics is pronounced upon " The Cenci.
- paradoxical encomium, however, he demonstrates that before God wholly different standards apply.