Empresses sentence example
- Stories were whispered of how differently the two Empresses behaved in these difficult circumstances.
- Raskolniks or Nonconformists in the second half of the 17th century, rebel stryeltsy under Peter the Great, courtiers of rank during the reigns of the empresses, Polish confederates under Catherine II., the " Decembrists " under Nicholas I., nearly 50,000 Poles after the insurrection of 1863, and later on whole generations of socialists were sent to Siberia; while the number of common-law convicts and exiles transported thither increased steadily from the end of the 18th century.
- In June 984 the infant king was handed over by Henry to the care of the two empresses; but the masterful will of Theophano soon obtained the upper hand, and until the death of the Greek empress, on the 15th of June 991, Adelaide had no voice in German affairs.
- But a conqueror came who had no empresses to thwart him.
- EUPHROSYNE, the name of two Byzantine empresses.Advertisement
- This capture virtually ended the war, but one of its side issues was a quarrel between Hugh and Pope John XV., who was supported by the empire, then under the rule of the empresses Adelaide and Theophano as regents for the young emperor Otto III.
- She is also interested in the role of women in Byzantium and has worked on Byzantine empresses.
- The new empresses of the pool raced to 12 out of a possible 16 world titles, setting five world records along the way.