Emeute sentence example
- The Girondists were idealists, doctrinaires and theorists rather than men of action; they encouraged, it is true, the "armed petitions" which resulted, to their dismay, in the emeute of the 10th of June; but Roland, turning the ministry of the interior into a publishing office for tracts on the civic virtues, while in the provinces riotous mobs were burning the chateaux unchecked, is more typical of their spirit.
- The abortive emeute of the 10th of March warned the Girondists of their danger, but the Commission of Twelve appointed on the 18th of May, the arrest of Marat and Hebert, and other precautionary measures, were defeated by the popular risings of the 27th and 31st of May, and, finally, on the 2nd of June, Hanriot with the National 1 Daunou, "Memoires pour servir a l'hist.
- Here he remained for nine months, fascinated (if the story be true) by Cleopatra, and almost lost his life in an emeute.
- It was he who proposed the law sequestrating the property of the emigres, and he took an important part in the emeute of the 10th of June 1792 and in the revolution of the 10th of August of the same year.
- In September 1453 the latter, by a successful emeute, succeeded in ousting Count Ulrich, and remained in power till February 1455, when the count once more entered Vienna in triumph.Advertisement
- Marching north with 36,000 men he entered Rome and forced Henry to retire, but an emeute of the citizens led to a three days' sack of the city (May 1084), after which Guiscard escorted the pope to Rome.
- As Louis was obstinate, he felt that he could do no more, resigned office on the 15th of June and Emeute of went to join the army of the north.
- After the emeute of August 10 and Lafayette's flight he was appointed to the command of the "Army of the Centre," and at the same moment the Coalition assumed the offensive.
- This emeute provoked severe reprisals, and the partisans of the images were mutilated and killed, or beaten and exiled.
- In the heat of the emeute which followed she installed herself in the Hotel de Ville, and played the part of mediatrix between the opposed parties.Advertisement
- Babeuf's song Mourant de faim, mourant de froid (Dying of hunger, dying of cold), set to a popular air, began to be sung in the cafes, with immense applause; and reports were current that the disaffected troops in the camp of Grenelle were ready to join an emeute against the government.
- On the 31st of May he was one of the delegates from the Commune to the Convention demanding the dissolution of the Commission of Twelve and the proscription of the Girondists, and he was in command of the insurrectionary forces of the Commune during the emeute of the 2nd of June (see French Revolution).