On the main promontory, with Valletta, stands the suburb Floriana; Fort St Elmo, with a lighthouse, stands on the extremity of the promontory; the suburb Sliema lies on the point which encloses the Marsamuschetto harbour; Fort Ricasoli on the opposite point enclosing the east, Grand, or Great Harbour.
At the eastern entrance is the fort of St Elmo, with a lighthouse.
The name St Elmo is an Italian corruption through Sant' Ersno of St Erasmus, a bishop, during the reign of Domitian, of Formiae, Italy, who was broken on the wheel about the 2nd of June 304.
Elmo), consecrated in 1106, has a fine campanile begun in 1 The New English Dictionary has nothing to say.
But the Royalists were not masters of the city, for the French in Castel Sant' Elmo and the Republicans in Castelnuovo and Castel dell' Uovo still held out and bombarded the streets, while the Franco-Spanish fleet might arrive at any moment.
During the latter years of his confinement he was kept in the castle of Sant' Elmo, and allowed considerable liberty.
From the summit occupied by the castle of St Elmo a transverse ridge runs south to form the promontory of Pizzofalcone, and divides the city into two natural crescents.
Elmo Steakhouse and expect to pay up to $50 per person (2009) for dinner, including steak served with your choice of navy bean soup or tomato juice, potato and the separate salad and side dishes.
Elmo Steakhouse the perfect stop for a group supper or romantic martini.
Elmo Steakhouse, Indiana's oldest continuously operating restaurant, serves steak and more with an extensive wine list in a traditional setting in downtown Indianapolis.
Elmo serves steaks, chops and a trademark shrimp cocktail with fresh horseradish cocktail sauce, in addition to vegetarian options and house-made desserts.
Elmo Steakhouse, a downtown Indianapolis landmark since 1902, holds the title of oldest Indiana restaurant in its original location.
Rather than face this ordeal Alexius fled to Vienna and placed himself under the protection of his brother-in-law, the emperor Charles VI., who sent him for safety first to the Tirolean fortress of Ahrenberg, and finally to the castle of San Elmo at Naples.
The series of bays to the N.W., approached between the points of Tigne and St Elmo, is known as the Marsamuscetto (or Quarantine) Harbour.
Meanwhile, against Mustapha's better judgment, Piali induced the council of war to attack St Elmo, in order to open the way for his fleet to an anchorage, safe in all weathers, in Marsamuscetto harbour.
St Elmo that the Turks lost 7000 killed and as many wounded before exterminating the 1200 defenders, who fill at their post.