Ellipsoid-of-revolution sentence example
- In this he showed that a homogeneous fluid mass revolving uniformly round an axis under the action of gravity ought to assume the form of an ellipsoid of revolution.
- The cases of greatest practical importance are those of a sphere (which is an ellipsoid with three equal axes) and an ovoid or prolate ellipsoid of revolution.
- An important instance in which the calculation can be made is that of an elongated ellipsoid of revolution placed in a uniform field H o, with its axis of revolution parallel to the lines of force.
- Laplace treated the subject from the point of view of the gradual aggregation and cooling of a mass of matter, and demonstrated that the form which such a mass would ultimately assume must be an ellipsoid of revolution whose equator was determined by the primitive plane of maximum areas.
- Accordingly the distribution of electricity is such that equal parallel slices of the ellipsoid of revolution taken normal to the axis of revolution carry equal charges on their curved surface.Advertisement
- The capacity C of the ellipsoid of revolution is therefore given by the expression I I dx (7) C 2a ?
- (x2+3,2) If the ellipsoid is one of revolution round the major axis a (prolate) and of eccentricity e, then the above formula reduces to I I l og e (I +e) C - tae Whereas if it is an ellipsoid of revolution round the minor axis b (oblate), we have I sin - tae C2 - ae (9).