Electric-potential sentence example
- In dry weather the electric potential in the atmosphere is normally positive relative to the earth, and increases with the height.
- Varley, who proposed to make use of it in a telegraphic receiving instrument.4 In Dolbear's instrument one plate of a condenser was a flexible diaphragm, connected with the telephone line in such a way that the varying electric potential produced by the action of the transmitting telephone caused an increased or diminished charge in the condenser.
- An exactly similar expression holds good in hydrokinetics, provided that for the electric potential we substitute velocity potential, and for the electric force the velocity of the liquid.
- A voltmeter isan instrument for measuring difference of electric potential in terms of the unit called a volt.
- Neglecting the external heat-loss, and the variation of the thermal and electric conductivities k and k', we obtain, as before, for the difference of temperature between the centre and ends, the equation O, Tho z Go = C 2 R1/8qk = ECl/8qk = E 2 k'/8k, (11) where E is the difference of electric potential between the ends.Advertisement
- Usually the electric potential near the ground is positive compared to the earth and increases with the height (see Atmospheric Electricity).
- He has constructed a capillary electrometer by which differences of electric potential less than o oi of that of a Daniell's cell can be detected by the difference of the pressure required to force the mercury to a given point of a fine capillary tube.
- Topics include: basic electrostatics, electrostatic induction, Coulomb's Law, electric field strength, and electric potential.
- - In dry weather the electric potential in the atmosphere is normally positive relative to the earth, and increases with the height.