Electric-charges sentence example
- Alessandro Volta of Pavia discovered the electric battery in the year 1800, and thus placed the means of maintaining a steady electric current in the hands of investigators, who, before that date, had been restricted to the study of the isolated electric charges given by frictional electric machines.
- The verification of Kohlrausch's theory of ionic velocity verifies also the view of electrolysis which regards the electric current as due to streams of ions moving in opposite directions through the liquid and carrying their opposite electric charges with them.
- Again, water, the best electrolytic solvent known, is also the body of the highest specific inductive capacity (dielectric constant), and this property, to whatever cause it may be due, will reduce the forces between electric charges in the neighbourhood, and may therefore enable two ions to separate.
- The dissociation theory refers this to the action of electric charges carried by the free ions.
- But when zinc dissolves, the zinc ions carry their electric charges with them, and the liquid tends to become positively electrified.Advertisement
- This process will go on until the simultaneous separation of electric charges produces an electrostatic force strong enough to prevent further separation of ions.
- Thomson and others once more brought the conception of moving electric charges into prominence.
- Electrified bodies exert mechanical forces on each other, creating or tending to create motion, and also induce electric charges on neighbouring surfaces.
- All the space round magnets, currents and electric charges was therefore to Faraday the seat of corresponding lines of magnetic or electric force.
- Berzelius early in the 19th century had advanced the hypothesis that chemical combination was due to electric attractions between the electric charges carried by chemical atoms. The notion, however, that electricity is atomic in structure was definitely put forward by Hermann von Helmholtz in a well-known Faraday lecture.Advertisement
- A similar distribution of electric charges is produced when a crystal is subjected to pressure; quartz being thus also piezo-electric. Etched figures, both natural and artificial (in the latter case produced by the action of hydrofluoric acid), on the faces of the crystals are in accordance with the symmetry, and may serve to distinguish leftand righthanded crystals.
- repulsion between hydrophobic particles is caused by electric charges at their surface in contact with the oil.
- He recognized that if an elementary atom had parts, his theory demanded that these parts should carry different electric charges when they entered into reaction, and the products of the reaction should vary according as a positive or negative atom entered into combination.
- The French mathematicians, Coulomb, Biot, Poisson and Ampere, had been content to accept the fact that electric charges or currents in conductors could exert forces on other charges or conductors at a distance without inquiring into the means by which this action at a distance was produced.
- It has been shown that the repulsion between hydrophobic particles is caused by electric charges at their surface in contact with the oil.Advertisement