Elche sentence example
- ELCHE, a town of eastern Spain, in the province of Alicante, on the river Vinalapo.
- Elche is the meetingplace of three railways, from Novelda, Alicante and Murcia.
- The harbour of Elche is Santa Pola (pop. 4100), situated 6 m.E.S.E.,where the Vinalapo enters the Mediterranean,.
- after forming the wide lagoon known as the Albufera de Elche.
- Elche is usually identified with the Iberian Helike, afterwards the Roman colony of Ilici or Illici.Advertisement
- Elche >>
- The Elche reservoir, in the same province, has a similar dam 55 ft.
- South of Elche is the province of Murcia, watered by the river Segura, on which there is a dam 25 ft.
- The principal towns, which are separately described, include Alicante, the capital (pop. 1900, 50,142), Crevillente (10,726), Denia (12,431), Elche (27,308), Novelda (11,388), Orihuela (28,530), and Villena (14,099).
- The date-paligi is very general in the southeastern half of the kingdom, but is cultivated for its fruit only in the province of Alicante, in which is the celebrated date-grove of Elche.Advertisement