Efm sentence example
- Electronic fetal monitoring (EFM) involves the use of an electronic fetal heart rate (FHR) monitor to record the baby's heart rate.
- Besides EFM and telemetry, which is usually continuous, there is intermittent monitoring using a hand-held Doppler to assess the FHR.
- With the introduction of electronic fetal monitoring (EFM) in the 1970s, doctors had more information for assessing fetal well-being.
- It was assumed that fetal monitoring would transmit signals of distress, thus, the EFM tracing became a legal document.
- The appearance of meconium in the fluid along with a questionable EFM tracing may indicate that a fetus is becoming compromised.Advertisement
- The EFM continuously prints out a record of both the FHR and the duration and frequency of the uterine contractions, so that deviations from normal patterns can be identified.
- It is important to note that the EFM is a screening tool and not diagnostic of any particular disorder.
- Besides the risk of an unnecessary cesarean section, other risks posed to the mother by EFM include her immobilization in bed.
- Another problem with the use of the EFM is that practitioners have a tendency to focus on it instead of the laboring woman.
- For these and other reasons, the United States Preventive Services Task Force states that there is some evidence that using EFM on low-risk women in labor might not be indicated.Advertisement
- Interestingly, there has not been a reported reduction in perinatal morbidity in the United States with the use of EFM.
- There is a benefit to using EFM in women with complicated labors, such as those induced or augmented with oxytocin, prolonged labors, vaginal birth after having a cesarean section, abnormal presentation, and twin pregnancy.
- As with any procedure, the potential benefit of EFM must be weighed against the potential risks.
- The NST is performed with an electronic fetal monitor (EFM) that traces the fetal heart rate (FHR) and the presence of any contractions on a monitor strip.
- The EFM is applied to her abdomen by two straps: one is to listen to the FHR by means of a transducer, and the other is to pick up any contractions by pressure on a tocodynameter.Advertisement
- A suspicious or positive result requires further evaluation, i.e., prolonged EFM monitoring or a BPP.
- A total of 4 points is not reassuring and requires immediate evaluation by prolonged EFM.