Edam sentence example
- EDAM, a town of Holland in the province of North Holland, close to the Zuider Zee, about 13 m.
- The facades are frequently adorned with carvings and inscriptions, one of which records the legend of the capture of a siren in 1403, who lived for some time among the people of Edam, but escaped again to the sea.
- Edam has some trade in timber, while shipbuilding, rope-spinning and salt-boiling are also carried on.
- Edam took its name and origin from the dam built on the little river Ye which joined the great Purmer lake close by.
- In the next century Edam was a great shipbuilding centre, and nearly the whole of Admiral de Ruyter's fleet was built here; but in the same century the harbour began to get blocked up, and the importance and industrial activity of the city slowly waned.Advertisement
- chiefly of the Edam description, are the main industries, but agriculture and even a little market-gardening are also practised in the heavier clay lands, such as the Y and Anna Paulowna.
- The security of the Zuider Zee for trade and fishing purposes was the first factor in the commercial development of North Holland, and the cities of Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam and Monnikendam, though now little more than market centres for the surrounding district, possessed a large foreign commerce in the 16th and 17th centuries.
- Thus the dam on the Amstel (1257) was the origin of Amsterdam,' and the dam on the Ye gave rise to Edam.
- VOLLENDAM, a small fishing village of Holland in the province of North Holland, adjoining Edam on the shores of the Zuider Zee.
- Vollendam has its origin in the building of the great sea-dam for the new waterway to Edam in the middle of the 14th century.Advertisement
- The parallel account in the book of Joshua of the entrance of the " children of Israel " is, in its present form, the sequel to the journey of the people along the east of Edam and Moab after the escape from Egypt, and after a sojourn at Kadesh (Exodus-Deuteronomy).
- Edam cheese.
- It has communication by railway and canal in every direction; steam-tramways connect it with Edam, Purmerend, Alkmaar and Hilversum, and electric railways with Haarlem and the seaside resort of Zandvoort.
- The following eighteen towns sent representatives: South Quarter - (I) Dordrecht, (2) Haarlem, (3) Delft, (4) Leiden, (5) Amsterdam, (6) Gouda, (7) Rotterdam, (8) Gorinchem, (9) Schiedam, (10) Schoonhoven, (11) Brill; North Quarter: - (12) Alkmaar, (13) Hoorn, (14) Enkhuizen, (15) Edam, (16) Monnikendam, (17) Medemblik, (18) Purmerend.
- Alternatively opt for lower-calorie cheeses such as Brie, Edam, reduced-fat mozzarella, low-fat soft cheese or cottage cheese.Advertisement
- Edam (cheese)of low fat Cheddar or Edam cheese and sprinkle over the pastry.