Echard sentence example
- His first introduction to the historic scenes the study of which afterwards formed the passion of his life took place in 1751, when, while along with his father visiting a friend in Wiltshire, he discovered in the library " a common book, the continuation of Echard's Roman History."
- Such, at least, is Echard's conclusion, derived from an examination of the earliest extant MSS.
- This has been clearly shown to be the production of a later hand, and is ascribed by Echard to the period between 1310 and 1325.
- ' Apparently confirmed by the few enigmatical lines preserved by Echard from his epitaph "Pertulit iste necem post annos mille ducentos, Sexaginta decem sex habe, sex mihi retentos."
- The Liber de Institutione Principum, a treatise on the duties of kings and their functionaries, has never yet been printed, and the only MS. copy the writer of this article has been able to consult does not contain in its prologue all the information which Echard seems to imply is to be found there.Advertisement
- To this list Echard adds several other works, such as a defence of the Dominicans, printed at Venice in 1504, and a Summa virtutum et vitiorum Guillelmi Peraldi, a Dominican who died about 1250.
- "But," adds Echard, "if he did so, the version lies so closely hid that there is no recollection of it," and it may be added that it is highly improbable that the man who compiled the Golden Legend ever conceived the necessity of having the Scriptures in the vernacular.
- Echard, Scriptores ordinis Predicatorum (Paris, 1719-1721).
- Of his later books of verse may be mentioned The Tent on the Beach (1867), The Pennsylvania Pilgrim (1872), The Vision of Echard (1878), The King's Missive (1881), At Sundown, his last poems (1890).