Easter-island sentence example
- In 1721 Jacob Roggewein was despatched on a voyage of some importance across the Pacific by the Dutch West India Company, during which he discovered Easter Island on the 6th of April 1722.
- The Pacific Ocean consists mainly of one enormous basin bounded on the west by New Zealand and the Tonga, Marshall aid Marianne ridges, on the north by the festoons of islands marking off the North Pacific fringing seas, on the east by the coast of North America and the great Easter Island Rise and on the south by the Antarctic Shelf.
- The following islands may be classified as oceanic, but not with any of the three main divisions: the Bonin Islands, north of the Marianas, belonging to Japan; Lord Howe and Norfolk Islands (to New South Wales); Easter Island (to Chile); the Galapagos Islands (to Ecuador).
- In Easter Island a form of the house-god is the lizard; it is also a tutelary deity in Madagascar.
- The present inhabitants of Easter Island know nothing of the construction of these remarkable works; and the entire subject of their existence in this small and remote island is a mystery.Advertisement
- It's a look of bemused wonder mirrored only by the enigmatic stone monoliths of Easter Island.
- Certainly, in media interviews the normally voluble economics graduate was virtually monosyllabic, his face resembling an Easter Island statue.
- For example, a destination wedding that's being held in Polynesia might feature small models of the Easter Island sculptures or a cake in the style of Mãori carvings.
- The month-long trips crisscross several continents to see the planet's most incredible sights, including the dramatic Inca city of Machu Picchu, the mysterious Easter Island and Cambodia's temple city of Angkor Wat.