Durum sentence example
- In 1906 the farm area was almost equally divided between " dry " farming and farming under irrigation, three-fourths of the wheat produced was grown without irrigation, and the dry farming was very successful with the comparatively new and valuable crops of durum, or macaroni wheat, and Russian barley, which is used in straw for winter feed to sheep and neat cattle.
- Durum wheat and whole egg is golden and gives a smooth and silky texture.
- Durum wheat, used to make pasta, is man made.
- The fertile northern plateaus, the Camas and Nez Perce prairies and the Palouse country - a wonderful region for growing the durum or macaroni wheat - until 1898 had no market nearer than Lewiston, 50-70 m.
- At any rate, it is certain that, as a general rule, the hard wheats are almost exclusively cultivated in hot, dry countries, the spelt wheats in mountainous districts and on poor soil, turgid (durum forms) and common wheats in plains or in valleys - the best races of wheat being found on rich alluvial plains and in fertile valleys.Advertisement
- The growth of durum (macaroni) wheat is also increasing, but is hampered by the uncertainty of market, which is for the most part foreign.
- Pasta made from durum semolina is recognized to be premium quality.
- The variety tenax includes four sub-races, vulgare (common wheat), compactum, turgidum and durum (see below).
- Specifically, gluten is in most forms of wheat including spelt, semolina and durum.
- Gluten is the protein found in wheat, oats, barley, bulgar, durum, kamut, spelt and rye.Advertisement