Draco sentence example
- It has, however, temporarily diverted its path as it moves into the constellation of Draco.
- The fine marble lion of the classical period which stood at the mouth of the Cantharus harbour gave the Peiraeus its medieval and modern names of Porto Leone and Porto Draco; it was carried away to Venice by Morosini.
- The first attack upon the aristocracy proceeded from a young noble named Cylon, who endeavoured to become tyrant about 630 B.C. The people helped to crush this movement; yet discontent must have been rife among them, for in 621 the Eupatrids commissioned Draco, a junior magistrate, to draft and publish a code of criminal law.
- The laws of Zaleucus, which he declared had been communicated to him in a dream by Athena, the patron goddess of the city, were few and simple, but so severe that, like those of Draco, they became proverbial.
- The Sangre del drago of the Mexicans is a resin resembling dragon's blood obtained from a euphorbiaceous tree, Croton Draco.Advertisement
- 19 northern: - Ursa major, Ursa minor, Bootes, Draco, Cepheus, Cassiopeia, Andromeda, Perseus, Triangulum, Pegasus, Delphinus, Auriga, Hercules, Lyra, Cygnus, Aquila, Sagitta, Corona and Serpentarius; 13 central or zodiacal: - Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricornus, Aquarius, Pisces and the Pleiades; and 12 southern: - Orion, Canis, Lepus, Argo, Cetus, Eridanus, Piscis australis, Ara, Centaurus, Hydra, Crater and The Phoenicians - a race dominated by the spirit of commercial enterprise - appear to have studied the stars more especially with respect to their service to navigators; according to Homer " the stars were sent by Zeus as portents for mariners."
- At this latter privilege, which perhaps formed the strongest bulwark of the authority of the Eupatridae, a severe blow was struck (c. 621 B.C.) by the publication of a criminal code by Draco, which was followed by the more detailed and permanent code of Solon (c. 594 B.C.), who further threw open the highest offices to any citizen possessed of a certain amount of landed property (see SoLON), thus putting the claims of the Eupatridae to political influence on a level with those of the wealthier citizens of all classes.
- In addition to its political functions, the council from the time of Draco, if not earlier, exercised jurisdiction in certain cases of homicide (see below, ad fin.).
- Draco (see Dragon) is Indo-Malayan.
- Draco was as unpleasant as ever, but he now seems more capable, rather than just sniggering in the background.Advertisement
- Lucius and Draco Malfoy: A very fun costume for a father and son or even a couple if one is in drag.
- Draco needs short blond hair, which should be found in any costume shop.
- Born September 22, 1987, Felton is also scheduled to appear in the next two Harry Potter films as the popular Draco Malfoy.
- Vincent Crabbe - Draco Malfoy's friend fell in service to Voldemort.
- 19), Draco in his laws mentioned only the Ephetae, and that Pollux (viii.Advertisement
- Thus the seven marvels of Jena are summed up in the Latin lines: - Ara, caput, draco, mons, pons, vulpecula turris, Weigeliana domus; septem miracula Jenae.
- - The Flying Colugo (Draco haematopogon).
- Nebular chemistry was initiated by the same investigator when, on the 29th of August 1864, he observed the bright-line spectrum of a planetary nebula in Draco.