Direst sentence example
- The emperor was now in the direst perplexity.
- Nevertheless, the pastorate, in single cases of the direst need and to prevent worse, may sanction bigamy in a purely exceptional way.
- It was almost dark when the Prussians approached the French position between Rezonville and the woods to the northward, and the troops soon lost direction in the smoke and became involved in the direst confusion; the firing again blazed out for a few moments, only to die away as utter exhaustion at length put an end to the Prussian advance.
- The time of the seer's vision is one of direst need.
- But the favourable account was written under the personal supervision of Timur's grandson, Ibrahim, while the other was the production of his direst enemy.Advertisement
- Before the arrival of the "government" and their shiploads of settlers the original colony was reduced to the direst straits.
- This Riksdag was to mark another turning-point in Swedish the direst pressure.
- Evidence is accumulating which may end in the explanation and perhaps in the prevention of the direst of human woes - cancer itself, though at present inquiry is being directed rather to intrinsic than to extrinsic causes.